Unique Characteristics | General Design Guidelines | Applications
PX5 steel is a 30 HRc, P20-type, pre-hardened steel that can be used for all plastic molding. It is the highest quality P20-type mold steel currently available, and is superior to all other P20-type mold steels in terms of machining, stability, and welding.
Unique Characteristics of PX5 Steel
- Exceptionally clean steel with uniform microstructure – no pin holes, inclusions or hard spots.
- 30-33 HRc hardness.
- Uniform hardness throughout, even in heavy sections.
- 75% tougher than typical chrome-moly steels.
- Patented chemistry suppresses weld cracking and hardness elevation in the heat affected zone, eliminating the need for pre-heating and post-heating in most welding situations.
- Machines 30-50% faster than any other P20-type steel.
- Never needs stress relieving, even after heavy machining.
General Design Guidelines for PX5 Steel
Uniform hardness (approximately 32 HRc) from surface to core assures that strength and hardness at the mold center are the same as at the surface. Exceptional toughness reduces cracking problems while increasing flexibility in mold design
PX5 is substantially more stable than common P20-type steels. Since it has a unique heat treating process, it does not have the stresses inherent in typical quenched and tempered steels. PX5 never needs stress relieving, even after heavy machining. It has excellent dimensional stability and consistency during the machining process, and during the heating and cooling cycles of injection or compression molding.
Applications for PX5 Steel
PX5 is a modified P20, high performance, high precision, mold steel. Applications include:
- plastic molds
- rubber molds
- press platens
Contact Us Today
Titus Steel products and solutions enable our customers to reduce downtime, increase payload and protect their employees. Let us help you overcome your steel challenges.
Fill in the form below, and our Sales Representative will be in touch.