Wear Plates in Toronto, Mississauga ON | Titus Steel
Wear-Resistant Steel Plates
Abrasion or Wearing of Steel destroys machinery, adds to costs, and delays production through down time. There are 3 types of abrasion:
- Low stress abrasion caused by grinding, sliding, or scraping
- High stress abrasion caused by impact, blasting, scraping
- High stress abrasion caused by heavy crushing or compression
To reduce wear and abrasion, the 1st requirement is surface hardness and the 2nd is resistance to shearing, tearing or cracking of the steel. The ideal Abrasion Resistant steel wear plate (AR) should have 2 characteristics:
- High initial hardness and the ability to “work-harden”, complete through hardness, a fine micro structure, good in hot and cold conditions, and corrosion resistant
- Good workability including ease of flame or Plasma cutting, weldability (i.e. low hydrogen rod, no pre or post heating), formable, and easy machining
These properties can only be achieved through chemistry (carbon, manganese, boron, chrome etc) and heat treatment (air, water, oil quenching).
Most AR Steel wear-resistant plates are air quenched, which provides a very poor microstructure prone to cracking and tearing. Their chemistry makes them very difficult to machine or form.
TITUS WEAR RESISTANT STEEL PLATES solve the problem of severe abrasion and impact with the added feature of easy processing. Titus Wear Resistant Steel Plates have an optimally enriched chemical composition, superior and expensive oil quenching, work-harden to 560 BHN, high shear and tearing resistance, complete through hardness, are excellent in hot and cold conditions and are corrosion resistant. They are machinable and formable and require no pre or post heating.